The Bradenstoke Hall is situated between the original inner and outer (partly removed) curtain walls on the southern side. The hall takes its name from the priory of Bradenstoke where Hearst brought the roof in 1929. The roof dates back to about 1320 and the windows are from Bradenstoke Abbey in Wiltshire, re-erected here about 1930; both fireplaces are French
The Great Hall is entered by passing through the Stradling Entrance, a wide archway with an oriel window over it, in the middle of the southern side of the Inner Courtyard. The entrance porch has built-in stone benches, and leads into the narrow screen passage under the hall's eastern gallery
The Gun Room is space running north-south, from the inner courtyard to the southern section of the outer curtain wall, with an enormous composite fireplace made of pieces brought from France
On the ground floor, at the north end is the dining hall (Hearst's Banqueting Hall). The outer walls are modern, but the hooded fireplace is late mediaeval, from Beauvais in Normandy, bearing the royal Valois coat of arms of three fleur-de-lis. The ceiling is of early sixteenth-century Flemish work, originally the ceiling of the nave of St Botolph's Church, Boston (Lincolnshire).
The Breakfast Room has a ceiling which is of the Boston ceiling (see Dining Hall), while the fireplace on the north wall was originally in the Prior's lodging at Bradenstoke Abbey, Wilshire
The library is reached by a modern stairway situated in the original Tudor staircase tower
Mathew Prichard, grandson of the legendary murder mystery writer Agatha Christie, officially opened the newly refurbished library at UWC Atlantic College in 2015, which now bears his grandmother’s name.
The Agatha Christie Library benefited from major structural refurbishments and technological investments. A significant proportion of the work was funded by donations from The Mousetrap Settlement Trust, which is itself primarily funded by the international royalties of Christie’s murder mystery play, The Mousetrap.
The Long Gallery of the Library was also refurbished following a generous gift from Winnie Kwan, class of 1991 and housed a gallery of images of the library from the 1930's through to the current day.
Until the sixteenth century, access to the castle was by a drawbridge across the moat. A stone bridge has replaced the drawbridge. Two lancet windows on the outer side of the gatehouse are set widely apart so that the portcullis can be pulled up between them and lowered to make the entrance secure
The Stradling Entrance can be accessed from the Inner Courtyard and has a wide archway with an oriel window over it. The porch has built-in stone benches, and leads into the narrow screen passage under the hall's eastern gallery
Bradenstoke Entrance can be accessed from the Top Lawn near the Lady Anne Tower
The Prisoners' Courtyard can be accessed through the Dining Hall and is now used for outdoor dining. Many staff and students use this facility in the Spring and Summer months
The Female Toilets are situated down the stone steps to the dungeon area of the tower
The Disabled Toilets are best accessed through the inner courtyard or through the corridor leading up from the Dining Hall
Located through the Stradling Entrance and to the left as you enter. Staff meet in the Staff Room at break time and lunch time
UWC Atlantic College’s Director of University Guidance supports students throughout the selection and application process. Our student-centred approach encourages students to follow their passions and seek out the best options for their particular interests. Fairs are available at the college where visiting Universities come along to talk to students
The Admissions Department is located on the third floor of the Lady Anne Tower. It is the second office, on the left, as you enter. This is a very busy office and supports students and parents in the admissions process in attending UWC Atlantic College
The Development Department is located on the second floor in the Lady Anne Tower and is responsible for the college’s fundraising and alumni relations (the Marketing office is also part of the Development Department but is located on the floor above)
The Marketing Office is located on the third floor of the Lady Anne Tower and the first office as you enter, on the left, through the main door. The Marketing Office is responsible for the college's marketing and communications functions and is directly linked to the Development Department
The portcullis can be pulled up and lowered to make the entrance impassable. Counterweighted chains from the guardroom suspend the massive woodgrille above; behind it are very heavy and very old wooden doors
Mansell Tower is situated on the western wall of the keep and is a terracotta roundel of the Roman emperor Caligula, apparently a copy of one in Hampton Court
The Lady Anne Tower is at the south-western corner of the castle. It was originally built in the late sixteenth century and rebuilt several times, most recently by Hearst
The north-western or Gibbet Tower is embraced by the contemporary northern and western ranges and consists of four storeys
The Blue Room is in the Lady Anne Tower and one floor up from the Marketing and Admissions Offices
Photographs with thanks to Sarah Savage, Gaynor Francis, Yasmin Nur and the student Flash Studio group. St Donat’s Castle – a guide and brief history insight with thanks to Alan Hall.